• Facebook Icon
  • RSS Icon


Board of Health 

 Debbie Whalen

The Board of Health Office is open Monday 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; Wednesday 2:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Thursday 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. For information regarding marriage licenses, death certificates or certified copies of marriage, death and birth certificates, please call 201-767-7204.

The Board of Health provides free blood pressure screening and health consultations for all residents at The Norwood Library on the 1st Monday of the month from 1:30 p.m.  to 3:30  p.m.  Blood pressure screenings for Seniors will be on the 1st Monday of the month at the Community Center, 435 Broadway from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m.

Nurse taking blood pressur - Copy (2)

New baby 2 - Copy (2)The Norwood Board of Health provides “well-baby” care services through the Child Health Care Conference offered at Hillsdale Borough Hall, 380 Hillsdale Avenue, Hillsdale, New Jersey. These services provided on the 4th Wednesday of Every Month (by appointment) include administering required immunizations, routine laboratory tests, vision, dental screenings and nutritional advice. If you do not have access to the services of a private pediatrician, the Child Health Care Conference is offered to you for assistance. The Board of Health wants your newborn to be healthy!  Please call the Public Health Nurse at 201-666-4800 ext. 1528 for an appointment. 

Please contact the Board of Health Office should you have any questions. We are here to serve you and your newborn child!


Requests for Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates should be directed to Debbie Whalen by calling 201-767-7204.

Request a Certified Copy of A Vital Record
Submit a completed application for a Vital Record either in person or by mail to the Board of Health Office (See left side of this window for application).  Furnish the required documentary proof of identification.  For more information, please visit the NJ Department of Health website at www.state.nj.us/health/vital/order-vital/non-genealogical-records/

Applying for a Marriage License

Couple - Copy (2)
 Marriage license and Domestic Partnership applications are done by appointment only.  Please complete Page 1 of The Marriage License Application found on the left side of this page prior to your appointment.  Page 2 must be filled out at time of application appointment--with the exception of the last line containing social security numbers of the applicants.  This field may be completed.


  • One of the applicants must be a resident of the Borough of Norwood and over the age of 18. A witness who knows both parties and is over 18 is required to be present at the time the application is taken. 
  • Proof of Identification (i.e. Drivers License and Birth Certificate or passport)
  • Certified copy of legal paperwork (i.e. widowed, divorces or annulled)
  • Must know Father's name and place of birth
  • Must know Mother's maiden name and place of birth
  • The address and phone number of either party where they can be reached prior to the marriage
  • The address and phone number where the couple can be reached after the wedding
  • Location where couple is to be married
  • 72 hour waiting period is required on all applications from the time of initial application until the license is picked up
  • Marriage license is valid for 30 days from date of issuance
  • Fee is $28.00 Payable by check only to The Borough of Norwood-BOH



Community Mental Health Services

Community mental health centers are private, non-profit organizations that receive government funds to serve residents in need of care. Fees are on a sliding scale, based on ability to pay. Services may include: individual & group therapy, psychiatric evaluations, medication assessment, monitoring, specialized day programs and housing.

Any resident of the Borough of Norwood in need of any assistance may contact vantagenj.org. The nearest facility is the Dumont Center, located at 2 Park Avenue, Dumont, New Jersey. Admissions phone number is 201-567-0059.

The following are specialized services that the Bergen County Department of Health Services also offers:

Friendship House provides vocational rehabilitation, transitional employment services, job placement, job coach, and residential services for adults as well as pre-vocation, after school programs for adolescents. Please visit the website at njfriendshiphouse.org.

Bridgehaven Housing provides housing and support services to seriously mentally ill homeless adults; consumer operated. Please visit the website at bridgehavenhousing.org.

Advance Housing provides permanent supportive housing services to seriously and persistently mentally ill individuals throughout Bergen County. Please visit the website at advancehousing.org.