OFFICE OF THE BOROUGH OF NORWOOD
Board of Health
Secretary/Registrar Health Officer, Bergen County
Debbie Whalen Hansel F. Asmar
Monday: 9:30 AM to 2:30 PM
Wednesday: 2:00 PM. to 7:30 PM
Thursday: 9:00 AM to 2:30 PM
Please visit us on our Facebook Page (click on FB Icon at top right of this page)
For information regarding Marriage licenses, death certificates or certified copies of marriage, death and birth certificates, please see information on how to request a vital record on the tabs to the left.
Marriage License Applications are taken by appointment only. Please call 201-767-7204 to schedule. Requests for vital records will be handled as received; Please allow 1-2 business days for processing.
FOR HEALTH & SAFETY ALERTS: Please click on the 'Health/Safety Alerts' tab on the left of this window.
The Board of Health provides FREE BLOOD PRESSURE SCREENING and HEALTH CONSULATIONS for all residents at 2 convenient locations on the 1st Monday of the Month: CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19 UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!
Jan 7, Feb 4, Mar 4, April 1 May 6, June 3, July 1, Aug 5, Oct 7, Nov 4, Dec 2
(Please note: No September Visit at either locaton)
The Community Center (435 Broadway) PLEASE BE ADVISED--ALL MEETINGS CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
12:00 PM to 1:00 PM for Seniors. UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!
The Norwood Library from 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM. PROGRAM CANCELLED DUE TO LIBRARY CLOSURE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!
The Norwood Board of Health Sponsors a Monthly CHILD HEALTHCARE CONFERENCE At no cost for those who qualify
Hillsdale Borough Hall
380 Hillsdale Avenue Hillsdale
These services are provided on the 4th Wednesday of Every Month (by appointment only!) 10:00am-1:00pm in the Nurse's Office. To Schedule an appointment for your child, contact the Hillsdale Public Health Nurse, Marguerite Deppert, at 201.666.4800 ext. 1528.
Services available at the Child Health Conference Include:
- Physical Exams for Children from birth to six years old who are uninsured or have New Jersey Family Care A
- Immunizations for Vaccine Preventable Diseases from 7 to 19 years old
- Blood Tests to check for Anemia and Lead Poisoning
- Screening tests to check for Speech, Hearing and/or Vision Problems
- Nutrition Counseling
- Community Resources
APPOINTMENTS ARE NECESSARY!
Please contact the Board of Health Office should you have any questions. We are here to serve you!
Requests for Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates should be directed to Debbie Whalen by calling 201-767-7204.
Request a Certified Copy of A Vital Record
Submit a completed application for a Vital Record either in person or by mail to the Board of Health Office (See left side of this window for application). Furnish the required documentary proof of identification. For more information, please visit the NJ Department of Health website at www.state.nj.us/health/vital/order-vital/non-genealogical-records/
Applying for a Marriage License
Marriage license and Domestic Partnership applications are done by appointment only. Please complete Page 1 of The Marriage License Application found on the left side of this page prior to your appointment. Page 2 must be filled out at time of application appointment--with the exception of the last line containing social security numbers of the applicants. This field may be completed.
MARRIAGE LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
- One of the applicants must be a resident of the Borough of Norwood and over the age of 18. A witness who knows both parties and is over 18 is required to be present at the time the application is taken.
- Proof of Identification (i.e. Drivers License and Birth Certificate or passport)
- Certified copy of legal paperwork (i.e. widowed, divorces or annulled)
- Must know Father's name and place of birth
- Must know Mother's maiden name and place of birth
- The address and phone number of either party where they can be reached prior to the marriage
- The address and phone number where the couple can be reached after the wedding
- Location where couple is to be married
- 72 hour waiting period is required on all applications from the time of initial application until the license is picked up
- Marriage license is valid for 30 days from date of issuance
- Fee is $28.00 Payable by check only to The Borough of Norwood-BOH
Community Mental Health Services
Community mental health centers are private, non-profit organizations that receive government funds to serve residents in need of care. Fees are on a sliding scale, based on ability to pay. Services may include: individual & group therapy, psychiatric evaluations, medication assessment, monitoring, specialized day programs and housing.
Any resident of the Borough of Norwood in need of any assistance may contact vantagenj.org. The nearest facility is the Dumont Center, located at 2 Park Avenue, Dumont, New Jersey. Admissions phone number is 201-567-0059.
The following are specialized services that the Bergen County Department of Health Services also offers:
Friendship House provides vocational rehabilitation, transitional employment services, job placement, job coach, and residential services for adults as well as pre-vocation, after school programs for adolescents. Please visit the website at njfriendshiphouse.org.
Bridgehaven Housing provides housing and support services to seriously mentally ill homeless adults; consumer operated. Please visit the website at bridgehavenhousing.org.
Advance Housing provides permanent supportive housing services to seriously and persistently mentally ill individuals throughout Bergen County. Please visit the website at advancehousing.org.